You may know how to operate a certain vehicle but when you do not have the driver’s license, you will not be recognized as professional, and therefore would not be allowed to ply the road.
It is important you have one because if do not, you may be arrested or molested by road safety workers. In this post, you will learn what a drivers license is and how to apply for it in Nigeria.
WHAT IS A DRIVERS LICENSE?
Well, if you do not understand yet what a driver’s license is, now you can get it better.
A Driver’s License is an official document usually in form of a card, which permits an individual (a driver) to drive or operate certain type(s) of vehicles.
These vehicles may not be only a car; motorcycles can be included.
THE IMPORTANCE OF DRIVER’S LICENSE
Are you not convinced yet about the need to have a drivers license? Or you want to understand better what the importance is.
Here below are the importance of Driver’s License:
- First, drivers license notifies the law enforcement agency that you are eligible to drive.
- It proves that you have been trained on road usage.
- Driver’s license is a touch of professionalism on your driving career. Hence it boost confidence and assurance.
- Driver’s License is used as an official document for identification
- In case of accident, your driver’s license can help identify you.
HOW CAN YOU APPLY FOR DRIVER’S LICENSE?
The question you may be asking at this point is how you can apply for driver’s license in Nigeria.
Well, to obtain a drivers license in Nigeria, you have to take these steps:
- The first step is to get trained at a FRSC recognised Driving School.
- After the training, you will seat for an exam supervised by the Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIO)
- If you pass, you will get a certificate of driving proficiency.
- Now, you will get the Driver’s License form and fill it.
You can make the application in two ways: offline and online.
To apply offline, you will go to the Drivers License Centre closest to you with your Driving School certificate, driving permit and birth certificate.
Fill the form there and submit.
To apply via the online method:
- Visit https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/
- Tap on Drivers License Application. On the drop down list that will show up, choose New Driver’s License
- Input your driving test certificate number in the text box, then click on ‘Validate’
- After your number has been validated, fill the online application form required with valid information about you.
- Lastly, make payment of application online and get your Acknowledgement slip printed out.
You must go to the Drivers License Centre yourself to complete your application.
Go with the following documents:
- Your application payment slip
- Filled application form
- Your learner’s permit
- The certificate from driving school
- The certificate of VIO test
- A certificate of eye test
- Your birth certificate.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST YOU TO GET A DRIVERS LICENSE?
To obtain a driver’s license in Nigeria, it will cost you between N16, 000 to N25, 000.